Friday, July 29, 2011

1001 Reasons, Part Six

This month's theme: books.

95. Okay, this one's a-duh: THE BIBLE. I could write a lot about why ... or you could just go read Psalm 119 ... which says it better than I could.

96. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. They make you think about our sins differently, and a new angle is almost always a good way to look at something. I also love that it reads either like a novel, or like a series of devotions.

97. Speaking of devotions, My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers is pretty fantastic. Specifically, this quote has always stuck with me: "At the bar of common sense, Jesus Christ's statements may seem mad, but bring them to the bar of faith and you begin to see with awestruck spirit that they are the words of God."

98. Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell is one of my all-time favorite stories, period. My favorite thing about it is this: what Rhett loves about Scarlett is her passion, her fire. But it's this very trait that makes her so immature and incapable of loving him in return - really loving him, I mean - and being grateful for him. When she finally grew up enough to love him, she had already ruined it. And here’s the kicker. Had Scarlett been mature enough to see Rhett from the beginning, to recognize everything she had when she had it, Rhett couldn’t have loved her. She wouldn’t have been the reckless, passionate soul she was, and that was what Rhett loved so about her. They were meant to be together, but they never could be.

99. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis are several of the most engrossing novels I've ever read.

100. Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand is a hard read, but worth every moment.

101. Anything in the Sherlock Holmes series by Arthur Conan Doyle. They're definitely better than modern mysteries.



Maybe I'll do this again. I love books. I could come up with a lot more. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment